On (or abouts) this day - I am certain it was a thin time in a thin place - a great, great fruitcake was born. Should you take offense to that, I quite enjoy my mom's made from scratch fruitcake.
Now I've been called a lot of things, including trippy (and I don't do drugs, and never have), but never fruity. Or, even, a fruitcake.
So this is a special time to rejoice in our inner fruitiness and to behold a day in celebration of the master fruitcake.
"Great leaders like Jesus, Gandhi, MLK, Siddhartha Gautama, et al. were *not* marketing anything. They were living worldview disrupting lives. Big difference." - Tom Asacker (via my Worldview Disrupting Lives, Marketing Pornography and Proper Art post)
Amen to that. (Fruitcakes rule!)
- c.1175, from O.Fr. fruit, from L. fructus "fruit, produce, profit," from frug-, stem of frui "to use, enjoy" (cognate with O.E. brucan "to enjoy"...Fruitcake is from 1854 in the literal sense; slang meaning "lunatic" is first attested 1952.
- fruitcake (via Anita Kunz's treatise on fruit in Dialogue: The Fine Art of Conversation)
- noun, 1948
- 1. a rich cake containing nuts, dried or candied fruits
- 2. slang: a crazy or eccentric person; nut
"The biggest human temptation is to settle for too little." - Thomas Merton
Merry Christmas to all! Enjoy!
- Bonus: Supposedly some of the best fruitcake the world over according to The Fruitcake Zone: The Trappist monks (Thomas Merton is a Trappist monk too) at Assumption Abbey "believe that a life of poverty and the most basic possible clothes and food should not stop them from making extravagantly rich cakes for the rest of us – with the help of the Duke of Windsor's former chef." From the heart of Celtic spirituality in Holy Island's Saint Aiden's winery comes the perfect libation to accompany your fruitcake..."their Lindisfarne Mead not only packs a heck of a wallop, but is a notable aphrodisiac."
And check out this blog devoted solely to the pleasures of fruitcake.
p.s. Sure, one day, when we all get back to working again and the eggnog season is passé, I'll be back to blogging my regular beat...albeit a decidely fruitier sensibility.
images Flickr photo by babe_kl